Saturday, June 12, 2010

Meloncholy - M.Weisgerber

This one is for bill,
for reasons I dont think even I
understand.

(oh yes, and on to the poem!)


Knowing we've locked the Seine in,
begun to choke the mighty Thames.
...but also knowing they will prevail:
how timid it makes the pulse beat.

That their decent into Hades will always remain pillar mark'd,
just a sliver of the smallest fing'rs nail,
stuck into the fabric; everything else swirling 'round.

I'd love to see the earth raunt there bare,
just to examine the curve of the soils breast;
an instant of alarm distributed on this little hill
outside my fair industrial city.

Watch it all with patient eye as the wind sifts
winters breath upon the singed concrete canyons and lessening,
letting the same fug that tatters my golden locks
ushers old dust motes back into the north.

I do not sing to what I cannot swim across,
wallow in the mud o'the banks with tinged breeze
and miss the smell of salt upon the air;
it's a title soon in coming.

Notice the pall rising, yet do not fear it;
there never were ghosts that roam'd the river
near hospital beds, or infect open manufacturing bays.
The only old spooks festering in the mansions

or open pustules that make the streets
whisper the loins of history, not one word more.
They already had their centuries of lore,
and are ok about being forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment